Sunday, June 23, 2013

Favorite Poems

First I'll post the poems I wrote then I'll post my favorite poems.

It is currently finals week and I'm busy. I'll post some new content after all is said and done.

3/20/12
These are two poems I wrote in tribute to The Things They Carried, one of my favorite books of all time. I talk about Jimmy Cross, a naive platoon leader unable to withstand the responsibility of being in charge of the lives of his men. He continues to think about a girl despite unrequited love and a man dies while he does, and now he is overwhelmed by guilt. Got inspired earlier today to overachieve on the poems.

I Needed Fixing
Forever ago
Before I knew
I signed up for this war

Forever ago
When life was easy
Before life got hard
I signed up for this war

Now I sit in my foxhole
Forever alone
Encumbered by the weight of men’s lives
Feeling the gravity of war
Feeling the immense guilt of wanting
When you lose something you cannot replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
I tremble

Wrested, pried from my hands
The innocence lost
The blood shed senseless

There is no hope,
No love,
No catharsis;
You hold the in your hands the two halves of my heart
The void that exists
Nobody can replace it
Not her, nor God, nor all of the treasures of the world

Once upon a time,
I didn’t try
The world was in my hands
The stars were an arm’s reach
The moon, the galaxies, the space too

Now I sleep alone
Just the jungle, the earth, the rest of Nam
Desolate, solitary, forever alone
This is the end


When you try so hard but you don’t succeed
The tears roll down your cheek
When the light at the end of the tunnel is a mirage
The tears stream down your face

A million words will not bring you back
I know, because I tried
Neither would a million tears
I know, because I’ve cried

It’s hard to forget
Somebody that gave you so much to remember

A smile can happen in a flash
But the memory of it can last a lifetime

There is no catharsis
There is no hope;
I tried so hard but life gets so heavy


What else is there to do?
I cry, I mourn, and I die
Goodbye.




Fix You
Jimmy,

Every day I sit outside
I look at the sea
Where the tide meets the rocks
And the seagulls come out to play

I look at the trees
Where the wind blows ever so slightly
And the raven sits on the nest just like so

The other day I walked along the sandy beaches
I found a pebble and it made me think of you

I want to love you
I want you to be happy
But as much as you can’t stop loving me
I cannot love you

I don’t imagine you beside me
Not next to the seagulls or the raven
Nor next to the trees or the beach

When you try your best but you don’t succeed
Maybe it wasn't meant to be

It scarred you but it broke me;
Wounds can be bandaged
But the mind is not as resilient

Everyday
When you feel so tired but you can’t sleep
I stay awake
Staring at the ceiling
I am so sorry Jimmy
I don’t imagine you next to me
I want to love you, but I can’t
Stuck in reverse


Find someone else, Jimmy
If you don’t try you will never look
If you don’t look you will never find
If you never find you will never live

It takes a man to hold on
But it takes a better man to let go


Come home, Jimmy
It’s time

The lights will guide you
And I will find a way
To fix you.


===
My favorite poems:

Heraclitus
They told me Heraclitus; they told me you were dead.
They brought me bitter news to hear, and bitter tears to shed.
I wept when I remembered how often you and I
Had tired the sun with talking, and sent him down the sky.

Still are thy pleasant voices, thy nightingales, awake;
For Death, he taketh all away, but them he cannot take.
-

There Will Come Soft Rains
There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;
-
And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;
 -
Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;
 -
And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.
 -
Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;
-
And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone. 

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment