Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Not My Door to Open


Today I was walking to a college. Both a girl and I happened to walk through a door. Since she was closer, I waited for her to open the door. She stood at the door, looked at me, and I just looked at her. Then, she asked me if I was going to open the door for her, since it's the gentleman thing to do.

Jesus Christ, what are you, 5? You don't know how to open doors? Why are you asking me? You're closer, you open the door. So I said, "You were closer, so you should open the door." Then the thought comes flying back to me. Why should a man open a door for a woman? Is she not physically capable of performing such a basic task? Do not try to justify gender equality when a female can't stand to open a door. Don't be all poo-poo and sad. If you want gender equality, quit crying about all the 'gentleman' thingies I'm supposed to do. Don't YOU want to be a gentlewoman?

If you're all for destroying old gender roles, why should a guy always ask a girl out? If you're all about female empowerment, why are you so scared of risk you sit there and pray the guy will approach you? There's something pretty hypocritical about this if you ask me.

Sure, you should do things because it's a nice thing to do. But she was closer to the door. Standing at the door and asking me to open the door because I'm a guy is pretty sexist.

I'm not 100% into the whole super duper Feminist movement thing. Granted, females deserve the same opportunities men have. But what I'm starting to find out is that all the bickering about men making more is in fact, women wanting to work less hours to go home and take care of the kids. So you're fighting all these years to be out, pushing all these reforms for women in the workplace, then you're sort of killing the point by running back home to take care of Timmy the Baby. I understand, progress has been made, not all females are like this. I just don't see why a small group of ladies decide to say they are the victim of everything, that they are getting discriminated left and right. Darling, you work in the tech industry, and you'll become the baby everyone loves.

Before I get hate mail, I'm not saying all girls are babies that can't open doors. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying, a small group of females are like this. I'm also saying, it irks me that in this day and age women expect men to be gentlemen and open doors and ask them out. Whaaaaaat?

No comments:

Post a Comment